Welcome to our relaunched Q&A Blog, featuring Questions and Answers about the Orthodox Christian Church, its teachings, beliefs and practices, how it views and interacts with modern (or rather, post-modern) culture, other Christian confessions, non-Christian religions, cults, etc.
To submit a question to Fr. Steven Kostoff, please visit our web form on our parish website.

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Introduction to Orthodox Q&A

Dear Parish Faithful,

Another idea has come to me, so please bear with me.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to get together with any consistency. But we can communicate through cyberspace, as I already do to the parish as a whole through the Monday Morning Meditations, and the "In the Life of the Parish" emailings. We could begin to do the same among ourselves as priest/pastor and parents. Therefore, I would like to begin a Question & Answer Forum among ourselves this summer. Please forward any questions that you may have concerning just about anything that touches our lives in the Church together. My answer will then go out to everyone on this list - and that should include all of the parents of children in the parish. Ask about the Bible, the Liturgy - including questions of practice and behavior - contemporary issues that relate to our children, Christian parenting, comparisons with other churches or religions, etc. Let me know if you would want me to answer as if speaking to your child, or if you are seeking information/direction as an adult that you will relate to your children. If you prefer, I could keep the questioner's name anonymous. This way, you could ask a question that you might hesitate to ask in a different setting. My experience is that there are no "bad questions" regardless of how basic or obvious. All questions lead to further clarity and understanding if posed in a genuine spirit of concern and charity. If I feel inadequate to answer a particular question, I will hopefully admit as much and point you toward other resources.

This should provide us with the possibility of a conversation of sorts among ourselves over important topics of church life.

I am eagerly awaiting the first question! If the questions pile up, I will get to them in the order that I receive them; but I will make an honest attempt to get to a particular question at some point in time.

In Christ,

Fr. Steven